2008, what it was

So I started 2008 with a bad head cold and spent the evening indoors.  I didn’t mind missing the parties and the crowds, it was actually pretty nice just hanging with Oliver and going to bed early.  Then I returned to work to find i had accidentally been termed and couldn’t get into the building without calling my manager and no longer had a login.  I’ll admit, this seemed a bad omen, but it was all sorted within a week or so.

In February my arthritis came back with a vengeance (boo) and that left me feeling grumpy, so grumpy in fact that I nearly killed Jeremy when he asked me not to leave the wooden kitchen utensils soaking in the sink.  It was not a good scene. I began to feel sad that I wasn’t more directly involved in American politics.  We also refinished the wooden floors on the ground floor of our house and painted the living room, thus making a huge difference in the amount of heat retained in our home and the grouchiness of my husband.

In March we sold my old green chair on ebay, it was sad parting after 15 years, 3 states, and 2 countries together but it was time.  March was otherwise fairly mellow (if still abit painful due to the old lady joints).

In April I turned 31 to a well intentioned but neurosis inducing lecture from my GP about making babies and started acupuncture for the first time as a means to try and help with the arthritis and found the whole thing vaguely surreal yet very helpful.  Drama in my family began to accelerate and I chose a DJ name for the first ever My Awesome Mixtape night.  DJ Zbornak.  Because it’s all about Dorothy, except when it’s all about Sophia.

In May, we had our first My Awesome Mixtape night, and the acupuncture made my arthitis pain go away.  I saw Sebadoh for the first time ever. We had the first ever My Awesome Mixtape night to much success (and dancing!).  And our bathroom remodel started (after three weeks of housing the new tub in the dining room).

In June, the bathroom remodel completed after much pulling of hair, lack of toilet and some tears in front of the builder.   I also had a showdown with the head builder where I totally used the force and was all like “No, you will return my keys by Wednesday,” and he was all like, “But I can’t get the job done until Thursday because the people who are richer than you want me to do their job first,” and I was all like “Well I’m leaving the country so you can evither pay to make new keys or finish the job and return them on Wednesday,” and he was all like,  “But I can’t do it till Thursday,” and I was all like, “But I need them by Wednesday.” And we went on like that for about ten minutes until he said, “You’ll have your keys back by Wednesday.” And I did.  And I felt like the toughest bastard in the world! And then we went to the Dominican Republic and I was happy.

In July we returned from the Dominican Republic and I was sad. We went to the Mighty Boosh festival and then I began my current battle with Costochondritis.  Jeremy got in a bicycle accident and ended up with a mild concussion and we began the stressful planning for our stressful (but fun!) trip home in August.

In August, we (sort of) flew back to Michigan standby for a weeklong trip and 2 weddings.  It was the longest short trip home I’ve ever taken, but it was good to see everyone (and it did feel like we saw EVERYONE). 

I September I made the momentous move to WordPress, and notched up my anxiety over the elections to about an 8.  The second My Awesome Mixtape occurred and I learned an important lesson about mixing pain pills and white wine (DON’T).  I also became acquainted with Russell the sadistic physion therapist, which wasn’t that much fun.

In October my election related anxiety moved up to a solid 11, where it stayed until the day after the elections.  The leaves on the trees started to change and we saw lots of art in and around London.

In November Barack Obama won the election and I was happy.  Also a lot of people in my office got laid off and that was sad.  But I was not laid off, so that was good.  We went to Prague, which was awesome, and my friend Lori visited, which was especially awesome.

And now it is December, possibly the fastest December ever.  I’ve been working a lot (except for this last week), Jeremy’s been traveling a lot for work.  There was another My Awesom Mixtape night, and Jeremy and Harvey have picked up a monthly residency at the Gowlett.  Our fireplace is finally getting some use.  An old friend found me.  And I appear to have beaten 50 page syndrome with my current novel in progress.

Overall it’s been a good year.  There’s been some general crap, there always is.  But we are both still employed, generally healthy and plenty happy. Now we see what next year brings.

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s